Highlights from the Spring Sports Season
The Romans had a successful spring! Below are highlights from the season.
- Marianne Mihas '21 was the State Champion in the 1600M with a mile time of 4:55.68, breaking the school record. She also broke the record in the 400M (59.41) and 800M (2:16.65) and was named Independent School League Athlete of the Year.
- Track & field broke more school records: Matthew Bellick '19 and Josephine Daab '21 in pole vault; Victoria Cohen '19 in shot put; Clare Hardiman '20, Laura Katunas '18, Marianne Mihas '21, Sarah Silverman '18 in the 4x400M, and Peculiar Nzegbuna '19 broke his own record in 110M hurdles.
- Girls track won both the ISL Championship and the IHSA Sectional Championship. The track & field coaching staff received the Independent School League Coaching Staff of the Year award.
- Inaugural boys varsity lacrosse season.
- Girls soccer team was ISL conference champions for the 4th consecutive year and IHSA Regional champs for the 5th year in a row. The team also added both the PepsiCo Showdown (largest girls soccer tournament in the USA) and the prestigious Chicago Cup championships to their accomplishments. Lily Keiderling '18 was named the ISL Player-of-the-Year was an IHSSCA All-State player and Maggie Marrinson '18 was named ISL Goalkeeper of the Year. Tom Bower received the IHSSCA Sectional Coach of the Year award and won his 300th career game in girls soccer.
- Boys tennis had a 6-0 ISL sweep and an eleventh straight ISL Championship, plus a 3rd place finish at the IHSA State Finals. Matt Dupont received the Independent School League Coaching Staff of the Year award.
- Sarah Vendenberg received the Independent School League Coaching Staff of the Year award in softball.
- Six athletes received All-State honors: Lily Keiderling '18 (soccer); Tej Bahri '20 & Jonathan Wuyan '20 (tennis - doubles - state runners-up); Ben Mitchell '20 (tennis - singles); Marianne Mihas '21 (track - 1600M); Matthew Bellick '19 (track - pole vault)
- Six athletes received All-Sectional honors: Mandy Duncan '18 (water polo), Dan Schwartz '19 (water polo), Tucker Jones '20 (water polo), Lily Keiderling '18 (soccer), Charlotte Cronister '19 (soccer), Maya Edwards '20 (soccer).
- Middle school boys volleyball repeated as Champions of the Queen of Angels Volleyball League.