The lower school is a place where children are treasured, where eager learners are encouraged to take the next step, to ask the next question and to discover the next truth.
Our lower school faculty are extensively trained in early childhood and elementary education. Our teachers use a team approach, gathering input from parents and on-staff learning resource specialists—as well as their own close observations—to customize their teaching methods and content to address each child’s strengths and interests.
Everybody learns things in a different way.
For young children, especially, the visceral component of arts education is so important. In our art room students touch art. They put their hands in clay. They put mosaics together. They get to feel materials and fabricate things.”
Manners, Kindness, and Civility
- How much homework will my child have?
- How are the students graded?
- How regularly do lower school students get physical activity?
- A lot of children today have food allergies. Do you have an allergy policy?
- What role can I play in my child’s school day?
- What support systems are available for students needing additional academic help?
- What are school hours? Are there options available to my child before and after school?
- What is the After School Resources (ASR) Program?
several times a week. Starting in first grade they have P.E. every day which provides a wide variety of learning experiences designed to meet the needs of each individual student. Our children also participate in recess every day.In addition to these built-in scheduled times during the school day, students can join the Rising Romans athletics program starting in third grade. Rising Romans includes the lower school cross-country team, intramural basketball and volleyball. In addition there are After School Resource opportunities that involve sports and games.
All grades begin their day at the same time, but dismissal times are staggered.
JK and SK
8:15 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
1st and 2nd grades
8:15 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
3rd and 4th grades: 8:15 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.