Latin is always learning.
For 130 years, our community has been singularly devoted to educational excellence. For that same 130 years, Latin has continually redefined excellence in education for our changing world. In service to that legacy, we are pleased to share that on May 20, 2019, the board of trustees adopted a newly designed strategy that will ensure our confident journey into the future. It includes an updated vision statement, a refined strategic direction and the articulation of four choices that will guide our progress for the years to come. We feel it is an incredible validation of the hard work we have done together and an inspiration for all we can achieve.
We asked our community:
"What do you value most about the Latin learning experience and how can we improve it?"
We are choosing to focus on learning at Latin and making it even more personal; we are choosing to focus on how we engage with each other, the city and the world; we are choosing to focus on advancing the growth of the people of Latin--the heart of the Latin experience; and finally, we are choosing to focus on the development of our physical spaces because learning happens everywhere at Latin.
Equity, inclusion and wellness--all critical conditions for excellent learning--are thoughtfully woven into each choice serving as necessary threads to unify our work. Finally, you will notice the most unique part of the strategy is the Latin Learner in the center...part of our new path for the future considers all members of the Latin community as learners and seeks to support all.
The Latin School of Chicago provides its students with a rigorous and innovative educational program in a community that embraces diversity of people, cultures and ideas. Latin inspires its students to pursue their passions and lead lives of purpose and excellence.
Every member of the Latin community is a Latin Learner: students, families, faculty, staff, alumni and our partners in the city and around the globe.
Our vision for educational excellence is to reinforce the value of an exemplary liberal arts education that makes learning inquiry-based, personal and inclusive. Our approach expands each Latin Learner’s capacity for purposeful learning—whether in our school, our city or our world.
- We develop the skills, knowledge and desire to solve complex problems through a global, liberal arts curriculum and master teaching.
- We identify our interests, learn to advocate for ourselves and others and become architects of our own educations.
- We promote physical and emotional wellness because they are essential to the pursuit of educational excellence and our happiness.
- We support and celebrate one another and take responsibility for our words and actions, because we shape the lives of others in our community.
- We embrace diversity within our school and in Chicago, knowing that it deepens our learning and enhances our empathy.
- We use our resources wisely in order to be good stewards of our community and our world.
- We are honest, fair and fulfill the commitments we make, building a culture of respect and mutual trust.
- We give our best effort, take intellectual risks and learn to persevere.
- We reflect and live with purpose, working toward goals that embody our genuine interests.
To achieve our vision for educational excellence, our strategy is to LEAD by creating an inclusive, equitable and healthy culture for challenging and engaging learning. We will do this by integrating and bolstering our mission-aligned curricula, programs, practices and resources in order to create the best conditions for the growth, wellness and achievement of every learner in the Latin community. To execute, we are focusing on four interrelated strategic choices to be implemented in thoughtful combination.
Latin is a learning hub in which every member of our community is encouraged and able to develop the attributes that allow for growth and change: resiliency, self-advocacy, intrinsic motivation, curiosity and authenticity.
Integrate, deepen and make personal the Latin learning experience for each and every person in the Latin JK-12 community.
Focus on engaging with our families, alumni and the city of Chicago to make student learning more connected to the professional world and the communities in which we live.
Invest in our leadership, faculty and staff as Latin's most important assets in the development of our students.
Enhance or redesign Latin's campus and facilities and align resources to achieve our vision for educational excellence.