Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Diversity, equity and inclusion efforts at Latin School of Chicago enable us to fulfill an important element of our strategic plan, which commits us to “...cultivate a more inclusive and supportive climate for all constituents.”
These efforts also further our expressed desire to ensure that all students and faculty, particularly those historically underrepresented, use their voices and thrive. Latin is committed to fostering a school and classroom culture, and a curriculum that supports these goals. In practice, that means presenting students with authentic windows and mirrors, a variety of perspectives and meaningful, immersive experiences that allow them to understand themselves, others and the world around them.
Diversity At Latin School of Chicago, diversity is defined as the wide range of human characteristics and identities--both individual and group--that inform an individual’s lived experience. We believe that there is inherent value in the perspectives, ideas, and ways of being that are embodied in a diverse school community.
EquityAt Latin School of Chicago, equity aims to ensure that each individual has access to our resources and support according to their needs. We strive to empower community members on their paths to success. We acknowledge that paths to success will vary with each individual and we commit to creating opportunities for all members for all the community to thrive. In short, equity aims to operationalize equality by differentiating support based on the needs of each unique individual.
Inclusion At Latin School of Chicago, inclusion is defined as actively creating and sustaining an environment of respect in which all members of the community feel accepted, affirmed, empowered and safe. We agree that creating such an environment is a shared responsibility of all community members.
Provide ongoing support of and structure over diversity/equity/inclusivity work including programs for all students, faculty, and staff, particularly those who are historically underrepresented, and educate and partner with parents and the larger community in an effort to advance a more inclusive environment
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in Action at Latin
Honoring the Life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. with "Courageous Leadership: Becoming Agents of Change"Learn more about Honoring the Life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. with "Courageous Leadership: Becoming Agents of Change"
Latin School intentionally seeks to admit students and families of various identities and backgrounds, working to integrate them into the vibrant culture of the school. Our rigorous, inclusive core curriculum and extra-curricular programs prepare the school's diverse students for a highly competitive, global education. Students also regularly participate in community service, which nurtures leadership and character growth.
Latin creates a highly talented, heterogeneous team of faculty, administrators, and staff by working to remove barriers to the recruitment, retention and promotion of these individuals. Latin also is dedicated to increasing diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects of school life. Currently, across all three divisions, 22 percent of Latin employees and 37 percent of students self-identify as being people of color.
faculty members who identify as faculty of color
We affirm our priority to be an inclusive community as an expression of our values and as vital to attracting students, faculty and staff from all backgrounds who will enrich our pursuit of educational excellence.
- Chair: Eleannor Maajid, Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Head of School - Randall Dunn
- Assistant Head of School - Shelley Greenwood
- Divisional Directors - Julie Brooks (lower school), Deb Sampey (middle school), and Kirk Greer (upper school)
- Divisional Diversity Coordinators - Kasey Taylor (lower school), Jen Nabers (middle school) and Kate Lorber-Crittenden (upper school)
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Upper School Curriculum Coordinator - Brandon Woods
- Board Member - Ron Seymore
- Director of Academic Initiatives - Ingrid Dorer Fitzpatrick
- Director of Athletics - Sonny Lim
- Director of Communications - Katie O’Dea
- Director of Enrollment Management - Mark Copestake
- Director of Human Resources- Susan Bolon
- Director of Uptown Partnership/Community Engagement - Sarah Bunger
- Faculty Council Representative - Nichol Hooker
- Parent Association DEI Liaison - Felicia Clotworthy
- Parent Association President - Nancy Dwyer
- Upper School Dean of Community Learning - Suzanne Callis