Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Diversity, equity and inclusion efforts at Latin School of Chicago enable us to fulfill an important element of our strategic plan, which commits us to “...cultivate a more inclusive and supportive climate for all constituents.” These efforts also further our expressed desire to ensure that all students and faculty, particularly those historically underrepresented, use their voices and thrive.
Latin is committed to fostering a school and classroom culture, and a curriculum that supports these goals. In practice, that means presenting students with authentic windows and mirrors, a variety of perspectives and meaningful, immersive experiences that allow them to understand themselves, others and the world around them.
We affirm our priority to be an inclusive community as an expression of our values and as vital to attracting students, faculty and staff from all backgrounds who will enrich our pursuit of educational excellence.
Provide ongoing support of and structure over diversity/equity/inclusivity work including programs for all students, faculty, and staff, particularly those who are historically underrepresented, and educate and partner with parents and the larger community in an effort to advance a more inclusive environment
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in Action at Latin
Conferences and training
Annual MLK Day Day of Service and Workshops
Lower School Peace Unit
Parents of Students of Color Group
Parents Learning Together Events
Seeking Educational Equity & Diversity training (SEED)
Student Groups & Assemblies
Latin School intentionally seeks to admit students and families of various identities and backgrounds, working to integrate them into the vibrant culture of the school. Our rigorous, inclusive core curriculum and extra-curricular programs prepare the school's diverse students for a highly competitive, global education. Students also regularly participate in community service, which nurtures leadership and character growth.
Latin creates a highly talented, heterogeneous team of faculty, administrators, and staff by working to remove barriers to the recruitment, retention and promotion of these individuals. Latin also is dedicated to increasing diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects of school life. Currently, across all three divisions, 22 percent of Latin employees and 37 percent of students self-identify as being people of color.
faculty members who identify as faculty of color
Chair: Eleannor Maajid, Advocate for Students of Color, JK-12
- Amy Atkinson, Middle School Diversity Coordinator, Middle School Librarian
- Tom Bower, Director of Athletics
- Julie Brooks, Lower School Director
- Sarah Bunger, Upper School Service Learning, Uptown Partnership Director
- Mark Copestake, Director of Enrollment Management and Financial Aid
- Ingrid Dorer Fitzpatrick, Director of Academic Initiatives: Upper School History and Social Studies
- Randall Dunn, Head of School
- Manju Durairaj, Faculty Council Representative, Lower School Music
- Angelica Flores, Associate Director of Enrollment Management for Diversity and Inclusion
- Kirk Greer, Upper School Director
- Sunhee Lee, Parent Association President
- Kate Lorber-Crittenden, Upper School Diversity Coordinator, Upper School English
- Randy Mehrberg, Trustee
- Jill Norris, Human Resources Generalist
- Katie O'Dea, Director of Communications
- Deb Sampey, Middle School Director
- Jed Silverstein, Director of Studies
- Kasey Taylor, Lower School Diversity Coordinator, Lower School Spanish