Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We provide children with opportunities to see not only themselves, but also other people, cultures, perspectives and ideas.
Diversity, equity and inclusion efforts at Latin School of Chicago enable us to fulfill an important element of our strategic plan, which commits us to “...cultivate a more inclusive and supportive climate for all constituents.”
These efforts also further our expressed desire to ensure that all students and faculty, particularly those historically underrepresented, use their voices and thrive. Latin is committed to fostering a school and classroom culture, and a curriculum that supports these goals. In practice, that means presenting students with authentic windows and mirrors, a variety of perspectives and meaningful, immersive experiences that allow them to understand themselves, others and the world around them.
Diversity At Latin School of Chicago, diversity is defined as the wide range of human characteristics and identities--both individual and group--that inform an individual’s lived experience. We believe that there is inherent value in the perspectives, ideas, and ways of being that are embodied in a diverse school community.
EquityAt Latin School of Chicago, equity aims to ensure that each individual has access to our resources and support according to their needs. We strive to empower community members on their paths to success. We acknowledge that paths to success will vary with each individual and we commit to creating opportunities for all members for all the community to thrive. In short, equity aims to operationalize equality by differentiating support based on the needs of each unique individual.
Inclusion At Latin School of Chicago, inclusion is defined as actively creating and sustaining an environment of respect in which all members of the community feel accepted, affirmed, empowered and safe. We agree that creating such an environment is a shared responsibility of all community members.
Our DEI Institutional Goals
The following goals are the result of a process that included gathering input from students, faculty, staff, families, alumni, Latin’s DEI practitioners and senior leadership. Five recurring themes emerged across all constituencies allowing us to identify both long term goals and short term action items that will assist us in addressing our comprehensive challenges. This work is both urgent and important and requires full participation in order to deliver the inclusive experience we promise to every student and family.
- Representation: Hire and retain more faculty and staff of color.
- Accountability: Create a culture of accountability for racist and discriminatory behavior.
- Inclusion: Create strategy for improving feelings of inclusion for Black and Latino/Latinx students.
- Professional Development/Education: Embed DEI work into Latin’s culture by committing resources to programming and education for all constituencies.
- Curriculum: Examine and adjust curriculum to better reflect/represent/include underrepresented perspectives school wide across all disciplines.
Watch and listen to head of school Randall Dunn and director of diversity, equity and inclusion Eleannor Maajid discuss Latin's DEI Goals and Action Steps
faculty members who identify as faculty of color
Our vision for educational excellence is to reinforce the value of an exemplary liberal arts education that makes learning inquiry-based, personal and inclusive. Our approach expands each Latin Learner's capacity for purposeful learning--whether in our school, our city or our world.
- Chair: Eleannor Maajid, Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Head of School - Randall Dunn
- Assistant Head of School - Shelley Greenwood
- Divisional Directors - Bliss Tobin (lower school), Deb Sampey (middle school) and Kristine Von Ogden (upper school)
- Divisional Diversity Coordinators - Kasey Taylor (lower school), Jen Nabers (middle school) and Kate Lorber-Crittenden (upper school)
- Upper School Dean of Community Learning - Suzanne Callis
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Upper School Curriculum Coordinator - Brandon Woods
- Board Members - Ron Seymore and Randy Mehrberg
- Director of Academic Initiatives - Ingrid Dorer Fitzpatrick
- Interim Director of Athletics - Tim Cronister
- Director of Communications & Strategic Initiatives - Katie O’Dea
- Director of Enrollment Management - Mark Copestake
- Director of Human Resources- Susan Bolon
- Faculty Council Representative - Nichol Hooker
- Parent Association DEI Liaison - Felicia Clotworthy
- Parent Association President - Nancy Dwyer
Council for DEI Mission Statement
Provide ongoing support of and structure over diversity/equity/inclusivity work including programs for all students, faculty, and staff, particularly those who are historically underrepresented, and educate and partner with parents and the larger community in an effort to advance a more inclusive environment.
Learn more about A Nourishing Lower School All-School Read
Learn more about Building an Understanding of Identity and Intersectionality in the Classroom
Learn more about Social Issues as Told Through Poetry by Fourth Grade Students
Learn more about Upper School Student Project: Send a Text for Stories of Survival
Learn more about Upper School's Jewish Student Connection Honors Yom HaShoah
Learn more about A Celebration of Women's History Month in Fourth Grade
Learn more about A Dose of Inspiration: Latin Honors Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in a Day of Commemoration
Learn more about Kindness Counts: Toiletry Drive in Honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Learn more about Kindness Counts: Book Drive Success!
Learn more about Kindness Counts: Students Exceed Goal for Donations to the Greater Chicago Food Depository
Learn more about Kindness Counts: Students Make Snack Bags
Learn more about Latin's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Goals and Actions Steps
Learn more about Kindness Counts: Students Send Letters to Retirement Home Residents
Learn more about Webinar: White Fragility with Dr. Robin DiAngelo
Learn more about Latin Frames Diversity for the Twenty-First Century
Learn more about All School MLK Day of Commemoration
Learn more about The Legacy Wall Exhibit Visited Latin
Learn more about Third Grade Students Learn how Taking Action Leads to a Greater Impact on our World
Learn more about Upper School Celebrates International Women and Girls in Science Day
Learn more about Latin Students Honor the Life and Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
LIFE Hosts Healthcare and Ethics Forum with International Human Rights Activists, Juliet Sorensen and Dr. Mardge CohenLearn more about LIFE Hosts Healthcare and Ethics Forum with International Human Rights Activists, Juliet Sorensen and Dr. Mardge Cohen
Learn more about Kids Inspiring Kids to Give Back
Learn more about Inspiring the Young Future Latin Leaders of Our World